Intelsat, Sentech Expand Media Distribution Relationship on Intelsat 20 Satellite to Deliver More Content Across Africa
Luxembourg, 20 March 2017 – Intelsat (NYSE: I), operator of the world’s first Globalized Network, powered by its leading satellite backbone, today announced that Sentech, a leading broadcasting signal distributor in Africa, has extended and expanded its relationship with Intelsat to bolster delivery of media services in sub-Saharan Africa.
Sentech has been leveraging Ku-band services from Intelsat 20, located at 68.5˚ East, for decades to cost-effectively deliver Direct-to-Home (DTH) and Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT) services in South Africa. Sentech, which reaches 8.5 million TV households, has contracted additional services on Intelsat 20, Africa’s top video neighborhood, to power its growth in the region.
“As a world class signal distributor and communications provider, Sentech is always exploring avenues and pursuing relationships that will ensure quality broadcast services for South Africa,” said Mlamli Booi, CEO of Sentech, said. “The contracting of these additional services with Intelsat will allow Sentech to expand quality media services to the rest of the African continent.”
“Intelsat will continue to support Sentech in its efforts to be the leading distributor of content in Africa,” said Brian Jakins, Intelsat’s Vice President, Africa. “Satellite remains the best means for African broadcasters to reach the widest possible audience, and this agreement will enable Sentech to continue connecting Africa to the world and the world to Africa.”
- Intelsat Media Services: https://www.intelsat.com/solutions/media/
Intelsat S.A. (NYSE: I) operates the world’s first Globalized Network, delivering high-quality, cost-effective video and broadband services anywhere in the world. Intelsat’s Globalized Network combines the world’s largest satellite backbone with terrestrial infrastructure, managed services and an open, interoperable architecture to enable customers to drive revenue and reach through a new generation of network services. Thousands of organizations serving billions of people worldwide rely on Intelsat to provide ubiquitous broadband connectivity, multi-format video broadcasting, secure satellite communications and seamless mobility services. The end result is an entirely new world, one that allows us to envision the impossible, connect without boundaries and transform the ways in which we live. For more information, visit www.intelsat.com.
Sentech is the backbone of the South African broadcast infrastructure and services, being the premier provider of electronic communications network services for the South African broadcasting and communications industry. The State-owned Company provides broadcast transmission services to the national broadcaster, mainstream and community television broadcasters, and over 150 Radio Stations country wide. Its infrastructure and data communications platforms also provide services to South Africa’s telecoms sector and mobile providers. The world class Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT) and universal access Direct-To-Home (DTH) satellite platform service ensures access to Digital Television countrywide. The DTT network successfully covers 100% of country’s population through 84% reach via the DVB-T2 terrestrial network and the remaining 16% via the Satellite DTH network. Sentech is now focused on developing and rolling out open-access multiscreen platforms that will enrich SA’s digital content distribution industry. More about Sentech: www.sentech.co.za