CEO Stephen Spengler on Intelsat’s COVID-19 Response
Company remains committed to keeping customers and partners supported, informed and connected during these challenging times
The Coronavirus pandemic is having an unprecedented impact on people and businesses around the world. Our hearts and thoughts are with all of those directly and personally affected by this crisis.
During this challenging time, the entire Intelsat team remains as committed as ever to keeping our customers and partners supported, informed and connected.
Most Intelsat employees are working remotely right now, thanks to our digital-collaboration tools and remote-operations applications. These tools make it possible to continue supporting our customers, responding to their evolving needs through this crisis, and driving innovations forward, while staying healthy and safe. When the COVID-19 pandemic began to escalate, we were able to quickly implement tools like these because of our rigorous and time-tested approach to business-continuity assurance.
On the operations front, thanks to a disciplined approach to business continuity planning, our teams rapidly executed pandemic-specific preparedness plans. There have been no disruptions to Intelsat’s global operations ― and, in turn, to the mission-critical services our customers provide to their customers and millions of people around the world.
Like many organizations, Intelsat has taken numerous steps to protect the health and safety of our employees and prevent any disruption to our customers’ operations. Some of those steps include:
- Establishing a COVID-19 Task Force, which meets daily, to ensure business continuity and preventative safety measures are in place and working effectively. This task force includes our company medical staff.
- Activating the Intelsat Emergency Broadcast System to keep our employees informed of the most up-to-date health, business and operations information while they telework.
- Conducting a comprehensive test of remote-work capabilities and implementing work-from-home policies for all non-essential employees. – This included verifying that all employees who support Intelsat’s 24/7 Network Operations Center and other critical customer-support functions have the proper remote-work applications and required broadband connectivity in place.
- Simulating Intelsat Business Continuity Plans and testing our default service-transfer plans, which would be triggered in the event of a mandated facility closure.
- Temporarily suspending all business travel.
- Restricting access to operations facilities by everyone except essential employees.
While we are proud of the steps we’ve taken to ensure that our business – and the services you rely on – continue without interruption, we look forward to the time when we can all return to our offices and resume our personal engagements. Until then, know that Intelsat remains focused on delivering the best-in-class services that you have come to expect from us — and that our employees pride themselves in delivering.