MNO Broadens 4G Connectivity to Remote Regions via CellBackhaul Japan
In the thriving, commerce-driven country of Japan, cellular customers expect reliable, high-speed mobile connectivity. One of Japan’s predominant network operators set its sights on upgrading its current network and expanding 4G (and eventually 5G) coverage to even the most remote regions in the country.
Provide reliable 4G connectivity in remote areas without adding complexity to a massive network
One of the country’s leading mobile network operators (MNO) sought to extend the same fast, reliable connectivity that served customers in urban centers to their customers in rural areas.
To deliver on this mission, the MNO needed a solution that would connect thousands of cell sites in remote locations. Relying on a terrestrial network alone would not only be cost-prohibitive, but downtime risk would be high for those customers who needed connectivity most.
They needed an affordable solution that would ensure uninterrupted cellular connectivity, provide peace of mind for customers and comply with strict company standards.
How We Helped
Implemented a fully managed backhaul solution with 24/7 support through a Japanese network operations center
Working closely with the MNO to understand their user and service level requirements, Intelsat created a solution using CellBackhaul, its fully managed, end-to-end service that extends the MNO’s network to users in rural regions. CellBackhaul combines Intelsat high-throughput satellite (HTS) capacity, new terrestrial infrastructure including geo-redundant teleports, VSAT hubs, and the Intelsat Japan network operations center– JNOC.
A dedicated managed services team facilitated project management and implementation. In addition, to 24/7 support from the JNOC, backup support is provided via Intelsat’s Global NOC located in the United States.
Fully managed satellite backhaul solution simplified operations and allowed the MNO to focus on core business.
- Cost-effective urban and rural backhaul with 100% coverage leveraging Intelsat high-throughput satellite
- Fully managed solution with best-in-class operations and flexibility for highly variable demand
- Full-time Intelsat Japan NOC operations with backup from US NOC
Network redundancy guaranteed highest operational standards and continuity.
- IntelsatOne Japan teleport infrastructure with C-band feeder links and service platform redundancy for highest network availability
- Fully geo-redundant teleports ensure network resiliency in the event of natural disasters
Positive impact on safety, security and economics
- Delivered the 4G performance promise of supporting backhaul at peak speeds of 100Mbps+