Ensure Access to High-throughput Technology No Matter Where Your
Journey Takes You
The demand for 24/7 connectivity is skyrocketing within the maritime market. From merchant shipping companies to fishing vessels, the offshore segment and mega-yachts – this industry is undergoing a sea of change. Routes are changing and operational, regulatory and crew requirements are putting added pressure on ship operators to provide reliable service throughout a vessel’s journey. Applications that monitor ship performance and keep charts updated are dramatically increasing bandwidth consumption. All of these challenges must be solved while producing a positive return on investment (ROI) and improved operational efficiency in a difficult environment.
On average, crew members take three internet connectable devices on board. According to Comsys, many shipping operators experience turnover rates of 35 percent, and a common reason crew members leave is to work on a vessel with better connectivity. Replacing crew is expensive; it takes a major toll on acquisition and training costs. However, for the first time since data was collected annually in 2009 by Futurenautics, respondents to the recent Maritime Satellite Communications & Applications survey stated, “The prime driver for satellite operators to fit IP satellite systems was not crew welfare, but operational efficiency.” The fact that operational efficiency gains were cited as the number one driver for choosing a particular solution indicates that conventional thinking is really shifting towards a holistic view of vessel management rather than looking at connectivity as simply another line-item cost.
And to complicate things further, your customers’ trade routes and bandwidth requirements are constantly evolving, putting you into a vicious cycle of continually buying capacity on new beams and reconfiguring your network to meet demand.
Incorporating new high-throughput satellite (HTS) technologies into your existing networks enables you to meet your customers’ growing bandwidth demand and lets you achieve this even with constrained operational budgets.
What is FlexMaritime?
FlexMaritime lets you integrate HTS into your infrastructure and manage the network with a reduced CapEx investment. It is a customizable wholesale Mbps service offered to Intelsat partners that aggregates Intelsat’s prime space segment (Intelsat EpicNG and select wide beams), the IntelsatOne terrestrial network and an HTS optimized iDirect Velocity® platform into a simplified, unified ecosystem.
FlexMaritime Enables Service Providers with:
- Enterprise-grade, wholesale Mbps service with tiered plans to meet the Committed Information Rate (CIR) requirements
- The ability to customize, prioritize, and shape bandwidth to specific market segments alleviating contention for bandwidth
- A flexible operational environment to easily scale services to meet surge requirements or geographic additions while providing a predictable cost structure that is directly matched to revenue-generating activities
- Quick and cost-effective expansion while retaining control over service differentiation, brand and visibility of end terminals
- Lower total cost of ownership due to a shared infrastructure that eliminates overhead, due to unnecessary bandwidth, enabling the ability to scale the network for demand
- The ability to use smaller 60 cm antennas which are faster and easier to install, not to mention much less expensive
By using FlexMaritime, distribution partners can avoid the requirements of buying dedicated bandwidth scaled for their peak usage, over multiple satellite beams.
If you want to learn more about FlexMaritime or have questions for our team, please contact us.