Protecting C-band Spectrum
At the World Radio Communications Conference 2015 (WRC-15), the International Mobile Telecommunications (IMT) industry lobbied for additional spectrum in the C-band frequency band (3.4 – 4.2 GHz receive/downlink and 5.8-6.7 GHz transmit/uplink) for IMT services. Decisions resulting from the conference include:
- WRC-15 recognized that it is difficult for IMT networks to share C-band frequencies, and did not agree on a global allocation of C-band frequencies for IMT services.
- ITU regions 1 and 2 may allow IMT to deploy services in the extended and super-extended range of C-band (3400 – 3700 MHz)
- There are a number of other frequency decisions/discussions that will be on-going and carry into WRC 2019
While ITU regions 1 and 2 may allow IMT networks to deploy services in C-band frequencies in the extended and super-extended range of C-band (3400 – 3700 MHz), is important to note that there will be no immediate impact to services for customers that have active services in this spectrum Should a country or region decide to deploy services for IMT in your service area, governing entities must decide on a licensing methodology, hold auctions, award frequencies and terrestrial networks need to be built.
There are many vital services provided via satellite services in C-band, and the satellite industry continues working on many fronts to safeguard C-band. As always, we need to continue to educate regulators about the strategic and economic value of the services we all deliver each and every day. We encourage all of our customers to join us in continuing to voice our desire to continue to utilize C-band spectrum.
Please find below a number of documents to support you in raising this issue with your regulator:
- Association for International Broadcasting publishes position on C-band spectrum
- Template for a letter to your regulator in English, French and Spanish
- Regulator Contacts in the USA, Latin America, Europe, Africa and Asia
- One-page infographic on C-band in English, French and Spanish
- ITU document challenging the IMT spectrum demand estimates
- Video on the importance of C-Band satellite services
- In video at NAB 2014: The World Teleport Association Speaks with Intelsat’s Kurt Riegelman
- One-page infographic on C-band use in Asia Pacific
- One-page infographic of C-band use in Africa
- Video: What Has a Satellite Done For You Lately?
We very much appreciate your support and stand ready to provide any additional information or background you might require.